Your engine oil is essential for vehicle function on Rogers roads, as it lubricates the engine block and protects all its moving parts. In order to prevent any issues, check your motor oil levels and the condition of the oil regularly is important. Learn more about how to check car oil, and reach out to the Cornerstone Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram service center if you have any questions.
Steps on How to Check the Oil Level in Your Car
- First, be sure to check your owner’s manual to see whether your vehicle has an electronic oil monitor, which is becoming more common for new vehicles, or if you have to check the oil manually. Follow the remaining steps to check the oil manually.
- Your owner’s manual will also tell you whether you should check the oil with a cold engine, which is the case for most vehicles, or after the engine has been warmed up.
- Make sure the vehicle is parked on level ground to ensure an accurate reading.
- Open the hood of the car and locate the dipstick.
- Remove the dipstick from its tube and use a rag or paper towels to wipe off excess oil.
- Re-insert the dipstick all the way back into its tube, then pull the dipstick back out, looking at both sides to see where the level is.
- If the top of your oil streak is between two marks or within a cross-hatched area, the level is good. If it is below any markings, you’ll need to add more oil.
If you need to top off your oil level, check your owner’s manual for the right kind of oil and oil filter to buy. You can order parts including OEM-certified oil at your local authorized parts center. Remove the oil filter cap and use a funnel for easy pouring, ensuring you don’t overfill it.
Engine Oil Tips
- Oil changes are generally recommended at least twice a year, and oil checks should be done at least once a month.
- Dust and debris can get into the oil, so keep an eye out for that when you check the oil.
- Even if you rarely drive your car, oil will break down over time so it will need to be changed about once a year.
- If you notice your car’s hood is hot to the touch or steam billowing out from under the hood, schedule a service appointment without delay. Your car could have an oil leak, causing the engine to overheat.
Rely on Cornerstone Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram for Your Service Needs
Our service team is always ready to help get your car running like new. Schedule service with us today or contact us online for further assistance, and be sure to check our current service specials so you can save on your next visit to Cornerstone Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram near Coon Rapids.